Our expectation is that children and young people with SEND will receive an education that enables them to make progress so that they:
- achieve their best
- become confident individuals living fulfilling lives
- make a successful transition into adulthood, whether into employment, further or higher education or training.
We will use our best endeavours to make sure that a pupil with SEND gets the support they need – this means doing everything we can to meet the pupils special educational needs.
Our School Information Report answers some of the most frequently asked questions about our school and special educational needs. The format and information in this report has been developed through:
- consultation with local parents and carers by Islington Council
- ongoing feedback from our school community at St Mary’s School.
We will review and update this information report annually to reflect changes and feedback.
If you need any more information please see our SEN Policy
or contact our school Inclusion Leader, Mrs Mayende on 020 7359 1870.
Below are some examples of SEN planning documents which are used at St Mary’s.
- Pupil Passport Example
- SEND Support Plan Example
- Education Health and Care EHC Plan Example
- Annual Review Agenda Example
The Islington SEND Parents Charter has been developed by the Islington Parents Forum in co-production with colleagues from Education, Health and Social Care. It outlines the 10 most important principles that Islington parents believe all providers (including schools, voluntary sector etc.) should follow in order to offer the best possible support when working with Islington children and young people with SEND. At St Mary’s School we are committed to these principles.
- Everyone understands SEND
- Be ambitious and have high expectations
- Develop independence
- Have a ‘can do’ approach
- Work in partnership with parents
- Ways of working with parents
- Young people’s involvement
- Integrated approaches
- Strong leadership of SEND
- Be an inclusive school
Find out more about the range of inclusive quality first teaching for all children at St Mary’s. There are additional interventions which enable children to work at expected levels and highly personalised interventions.
Watch this video to find out more about the assess, plan, do, review cycle used at St Mary’s.