06 Apr Free School Meals
Your child is entitled to free school meals if they are attending:
- Islington Children’s centres and early years centres
- a children’s centre in an Islington primary school
- North Islington, Margaret McMillan or Kate Greenaway nurseries
- a primary school in Islington from the age of three, full time.
I believe my child receives free school meals, what should I do?
All primary school pupils in Islington receive free school meals if they attend a mainstream school. This is unique to Islington that no matter the circumstances of a family that every child receives a lunch which they are not required to pay for.
If you believe that this may include you then continue to read the information below and verify your eligibility with the local authority. Please then share this information with the school via our parent email address so we can update your child’s ‘Free School Meal’ status for you.
Local authorities will continue to accept free school meal applications. Parents should make contact with the local authority, who will verify eligibility and award free school meals.
You can do this by visiting the Islington Citizen Portal
What is the eligibility criteria for free school meals?
The eligibility criteria for free school meals can be found at apply for free school meals.
Your child may be able to get free school meals if you get any of the following:
- Income Support
- Income–based Jobseeker’s Allowance
- Income-related Employment and Support Allowance
- Child Tax Credit if your taxable income is less than £16,190 and you are not entitled to Working Tax Credit
- the guaranteed element of Pension Credit
- support under Section VI of the Immigration and Asylum Act 1999
- Working Tax Credit run-on – paid for four weeks after you stop qualifying for Working Tax Credit
- Universal Credit – if you apply on or after 1 April 2018 and your household income is less than £7,400 a year after tax and before benefits
If your child is eligible for free school meals, they’ll remain eligible until they finish the phase of schooling (primary or secondary) they’re in on 31 March 2023.
For further information, you can email: email@example.com